Just like last year I enjoy a good list to get me organized and prepped. I have been dragging my feet a bit. But we still have some time to get organized. I have a shopping list, and list of dishes. Just like last year I will be sharing my list of dishes with you. I'm not sure if I am going to recreate everything. There are a few dishes that have gained a special place in book, that I can't live without on Thanksgiving. Hopefully these dishes work out like last year.
- roasted-beer-brined-turkey- Yes you read that right! Beer Brined turkey!! Last year I did a 24 Pound Turkey. Unless I plan on eating leftovers till Christmas I won't be needing a big fella like that. I have a nice 17 pound turkey that will yield plenty of leftovers for the next day. A brine is the way to go - it makes the turkey moist and flavorful. This year I was looking over my magazines and found the beer-brined turkey! Who ever knew Food and Wine was so hip!
- Mashed Potatoes- Oh wait-- GARLIC Mashed Potatoes! This is something that never changes. I use a basic mashed-potatoes recipe but add a head of roasted garlic.
- Green Bean Casserole- A can of green beans and mushroom soup just doesn't cut it. Last year I made up my own version- Using fresh green beans, and a thick mushroom sauce. I am a sucker for the fried onions so they have to stay. I made this last year and it was devoured, no leftovers for me. So this year I am going to double the recipe. I don't have a recipe for this but I will make sure to write it down for next year!
- Brussels Sprouts- with Bacon- I just add chopped up bacon to this recipe brussels-sprouts
- Gravy- Mashed Potatoes best friend is gravy, so it wouldn't be a complete dinner without gravy. silky-turkey-gravy
- Stuffing- I can't explain how it's made. I can say whats in it but it's going to have to be by feel. I have watched my dad make it countless times- It's a basic stuffing recipe with onions, celery, mushrooms, olives, chicken stock, sausage, bread, salt, pepper, garlic. Mix together and either stuff or bake in the oven.
- Cranberry sauce- It wasn't missed last year, so why mess up a good thing.