Monday, November 19, 2012

Turkey daze

Last year was an epic thanksgiving- you can read about my preparations in  Gobble Gobble and the recap in First Thanksgiving. This year however it won't be the same.  I am only hosting 8 people compared to 15 last year, and I have to work all the days leading up and on Thanksgiving morning. I know this is not ideal for preparing a monstrous meal. But what can I do? I have to work, and I love turkey and mashed potatoes ( especially the way I make them).  This just calls for a bit more planning on my end.  With 3 of my guests being children I am really only feeding 6 adults. And that's not so bad.
 Just like last year I enjoy a good list to get me organized and prepped. I have been dragging my feet a bit. But we still have some time to get organized. I have a shopping list, and list of dishes. Just like last year I will be sharing my list of dishes with you. I'm not sure if I am going to recreate everything. There are a few dishes that have gained a special place in book, that I can't live without on Thanksgiving. Hopefully these dishes work out like last year.

  • roasted-beer-brined-turkey- Yes you read that right! Beer Brined turkey!! Last year I did a 24 Pound Turkey. Unless I plan on eating leftovers till Christmas I won't be needing a big fella like that. I have a nice 17 pound turkey that will yield plenty of leftovers for the next day. A brine is the way to go - it makes the turkey moist and flavorful.  This year I was looking over my magazines and found the beer-brined turkey! Who ever knew Food and Wine was so hip! 
  • Mashed Potatoes- Oh wait-- GARLIC Mashed Potatoes! This is something that never changes. I use a basic mashed-potatoes recipe but add a head of roasted garlic. 
  • Green Bean Casserole- A can of green beans and mushroom soup just doesn't cut it. Last year I made up my own version- Using fresh green beans, and a thick mushroom sauce. I am a sucker for the fried onions so they have to stay. I made this last year and it was devoured, no leftovers for me. So this year I am going to double the recipe. I don't have a recipe for this but I will make sure to write it down for next year!
  • Brussels Sprouts- with Bacon- I just add chopped up bacon to this recipe brussels-sprouts
  • Gravy- Mashed Potatoes best friend is gravy, so it wouldn't be a complete dinner without gravy. silky-turkey-gravy
  • Stuffing- I can't explain how it's made. I can say whats in it but it's going to have to be by feel. I have watched my dad make it countless times- It's a basic stuffing recipe with onions, celery, mushrooms, olives, chicken stock,  sausage, bread, salt, pepper, garlic. Mix together and either stuff or bake in the oven.
  • Cranberry sauce- It wasn't missed last year, so why mess up a good thing.
Now on the dessert part, this is my specialty. I am keeping it simple this year. 4 kinds of pies, the special part will be the fact that I am making mini pies. I have a bunch of mini pie pans, and I thought it would be really cute.  I have a great butter_pie_crust recipe that I will use for the apple, and chocolate cream pie.
I hope that this helps you if you were not sure of everything you were making for Thanksgiving. I hope it's a enjoyable Thanksgiving! Gobble Gobble!!

No comments:

Post a Comment