Saturday, March 3, 2012

Brussels Sprouts


I have had the reputation of not liking green things from when I was a kid. But really no joke I love green things- with a few exceptions. Broccoli is my first love then green beans, peas, Brussels Sprouts and artichokes. I would say that is pretty good. However Brussels Sprouts have only been on my radar for about a year and a half. My dad always cooked them in balsamic vinegar. I started liking them when I visited my friends restaurant Hunger in Seattle. She cooked me amazing Brussels Sprouts. I couldn't get enough and so the love affair began.  Of course she cooked them in butter. The saying is always correct: butter is better, fat is fabulous. I started eating them with everything, on pizza was the best. Oh the cheesy goodness of them on pizza.
Now I am trying to cook my veggies in less butter, and fat. A few days ago I was experimenting with cooking them light. The first attempt was blasting them in the oven on a high temp with some spices. It turned out pretty good, I ended up dipping them in Dijon. So the next night I decided to roast the Brussels Sprouts in Dijon and some spices. Wow was that a horrible idea- I still ate them but it was horrible. Now I have  been looking for great Brussels Sprouts recipes, here are a few along with my quick blasted Brussels sprouts

Blasted Brussels
2 cups Brussels Sprouts
1 tsp. minced Garlic
1 tsp. red pepper flakes
1/2 tsp Black pepper
1/4 tsp. kosher Salt (optional)
 Heat the oven to 450*, while preheating cut the ends off each sprout and remove any leaves that might look discolored or bad. Depending on the size I always cut them in half or even quarter, it helps them cook faster. Wash the sprouts and leave them pretty wet. Spread over a single layer on a baking sheet. Once all spread out sprinkle with garlic, red pepper flakes, black pepper and salt if using.  Cover with a sheet of foil. Roast for about 7-9 min, then remove the foil cover. Turn the oven to BROIL. Broil uncovered till they start to brown at the edges. This should only take a few minutes. Take out and let sit for a few, because those suckers are going to be HOT! Eat them as they are or dip in balsamic dressing or Dijon mustard.
Below is a little link love:
shaved-brussels-sprouts-salad from cooking light looks fresh and exciting
roasted-brussels-sprouts simply roasted is really the way to go from the Barefoot Contessa
bucatini-with-cauliflower-and-brussels-sprouts from Food and Wine sounds delish in this complete meal I would just use whole wheat pasta instead of white.
warm-brussels-sprout-leaves from Sunset looks fun taking the leaves off them.

No comments:

Post a Comment