Monday, September 3, 2012

Apple Pie Filling in a Jar


I recently was blessed with a huge bag full of apples. I needed to work fast so I wouldn't lose them like the box of plums a few weeks ago. I thought of making apple pie filling. When I want to make a apple pie later all I have to do is make a crust. This was fairly easy. However a small amount of canning equipment will be key. As stated in my post jars-jars-and-more-jars from last year everyone knows that I have way too many canning jars, and I have acquired even more in the last year. I used quart jars, and ended  up with 7. It was hard to say how many apples I used since they were all different sizes. I used about 1/2 of a paper grocery bag full. If you are new to canning and want to learn How to Can this is a great website that will help with the safety precautions. It takes some time to peel, core and slice the apples.
This is only 2/3 of the apples I used
Put lemon juice in the water to prevent browning

Apple Pie Filling:

Apples peeled, cored, sliced 1/4 inch thick
8 cups of water
1 cup water
1 cup Cornstarch
4 1/2 cups sugar
1 TBS Cinnamon
2 tsp Ginger
1 tsp Nutmeg
1/4 tsp Salt
1 TBS lemon Juice
7 Cinnamon sticks

Have hot clean quart jars with 1 cinnamon stick per jar ready. Have your boiling water ready, and lids and bands ready to place on jars once they are ready. With sliced apples standing by.
Combine 8 cups of water with Sugar, Cinnamon, Ginger, Nutmeg, Salt in  a large pot and bring to a boil. Mix 1 cup water with cornstarch. Slowly add the cornstarch "slurry" into the boiling sugar mixture while mixing vigurously with a wire whisk.  Once it's thickened up take it off the heat and add the sliced apples. Stir the apples in and quickly add to the hot quart jars leaving 1 inch headspace.  Process in a boiling water bath for 20 minutes.
Once it's all stored away you can make apple pie with ease.


2 comments:

  1. I have a tree full of apples on the edge of our property line. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Way cool! I am working on a Applesauce recipe too.

      Delete