Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Pizza Dough


Hey Look basic Pizza dough with yummy Italian spices. Now the toppings are endless! I try and add something new when I make pizza at home. Last night I put green beans, broccoli, and potatoes. I have to admit it was a little weird. It doesn't help that I added dried beet and sweet potatoes to my tomato sauce. While I was eating I felt strangely healthy and wanted to rebel. But alas I sucked it up and ate it. Needless to say it wasn't a hit in my house. The boys didn't even know about the beets or sweet potatoes.  If you make this dough a head of time and keep it in the freezer it's great for last minute dinner ideas, just defrost on the counter for a few hours or defrost in the microwave. * Next time I make this I am going to try and use mostly whole wheat flour. I will  report back if it was a success. (UPDATE 3/6/13) I used 1/2 wheat flour and 1/2 all purpose- it turned out great, and not too dry!

Pizza Dough: makes 4 medium pizzas

2 cups warm water  (105-115*F)
2 packs active dry yeast
1/2 tsp sugar
6 cups flour-
1 TBS chopped Rosemary (fresh)
1 TBS garlic powder
1 TBS dried Basil (or fresh)
1 tsp Red Pepper flakes- more if you like some kick
1 TBS Olive Oil
1 tsp Salt



In a large bowl combine the yeast, sugar and water; let stand for  5 min until bubbly. Note: if you water is too hot it will kill the yeast! While the yeast is activating measure out the flour and all the spices and mix together. Once the yeast is ready add all the flour and spices. In a mixer mix with a dough hook for about 8 min on medium speed. If doing by hand, knead on a floured surface for 8 min or till smooth and elastic. Put in a lightly oiled bowl and turn to coat. Let sit in a warm place till doubled in size.  Once ready to use, I would divide in 4 pieces for medium sized pizzas. I usually make 2 pizzas so we can have leftovers, and with the other 2 balls of dough I wrap up in plastic and freeze.  

No comments:

Post a Comment