Thursday, February 21, 2013

Old Fashioned Cookies

I'm rolling out a new idea. Cookie Thursdays! Yup that's right I'm gonna do it until I run out of cookies to make. Lukas has been having fun making cookies with me and with that I have decided that we will make it a weekly thing. I'll have to plan to give some away, since cookies every week could be dangerously yummy.
First I'm starting with Old Fashinoned Chocolate drop cookies
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup cocoa powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/4 cups (2 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter (soft)
2 cups sugar
2 eggs
1 TBS Vanilla extract
Crystal Sugar for rolling
In a medium bowl combine flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. Whisk together. As Lukas Demonstrates in the photo below.
In the bowl of a electric mixer add the butter and sugar. Beat them on meduim speed till light and fluffy about 3 min. Add the eggs and vanilla, beat to combine.
yes 3 min is a L-O-N-G time!

With the mixer on a low speed slowly add the flour cocoa powder mixture. Continue to scrape down the sides and the bottom of the bowl to completely mix the dough. Divide the dough in two, and roll into logs and wrap in either parchment paper or plastic wrap. Chill in the freezer for 15-20 minutes. 

While the Dough is chilling preheat the oven to 350. Once the dough is chilled slice each log up. I went for big cookies and cut my logs into 9 pieces each. It would be easy to make at least double that and have good sized cookies.  After slicing the logs roll each cookie into a ball and roll in crystal sugar. Place 1 1/2 inches apart.Bake on parchment lined cookie sheets  for 10-13 min turning the pan half way through baking. Cookies can be stored for up to one week covered, if they last that long. If you don't want to bake them all at once the cookie dough can be frozen for 6 months.  I made 1 1/2 dozen cookies, but they were huge! 
 So next time I would make 3 dozen for regular size cookies.









No comments:

Post a Comment