Saturday, October 22, 2011

Shrimp Fra Diavolo

I have an obsession with cookbooks. I tend to get them as gifts, and buy them. Needless to say I have ton! I have noticed that lately I just cook what I know. After buying another cookbook the other day, I swore to myself that I would  make more recipes from my cookbooks and cooking magazines. I found this shrimp recipe in one of my newest purchases- great deal I bought it for $4.99 at Marshalls. I was very proud of my savings of $27.96, but it's only a deal if you use it. The book is Food and Wine Annual Cookbook 2011-it has over 700 recipes complied from food and wine issues from last year. This is better then getting the magazine and having to sift through all the ads. All right lets get back to the Shrimp! I changed the recipe a bit since I didn't have all the ingredients, I believe it turned out amazing, and will always make it this way. The name sounds fancy- it just implies that it is spicy.
It takes 35 min, but 20 min of it is inactive so relatively no time at all, just some planning is in order.
Shrimp Fra Diavolo


Shrimp Fra Diavolo: 
"brother devil"
1 TBS crushed red Pepper flakes
3 TBS Olive Oil
1 1/2 pounds medium Shrimp- shelled and deveined
1 tsp Salt
1 tsp Pepper
3 TBS Olive Oil
4 slices of Bacon- diced up
1 cup finely diced onion
2 minced garlic cloves
14 oz can of tomato sauce
2 TBS Sriracha sauce


Marinating Shrimp
In a plastic bag toss the shrimp with the first 3 TBS of Olive Oil,  red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper. Let shrimp marinate for 20 min. (I use a plastic bag because I can toss it around from the outside and not get too messy, and let it sit)
Bacon and Onion
Once the shrimp has marinated for 20 min, heat a large skillet until very hot! Add the shrimp and cook over high heat until the turn a pinkish color and halfway cooked about 2 min. Transfer them to a plate. Add the other 3 TBS of Olive Oil to the skillet along with the bacon, onion, and garlic. Cook over high heat until browned about 4-5 min. Return the shrimp and accumulated juices to the skillet. Add the tomato sauce and Sriracha, cook over medium heat until shrimp are fully cooked about 2 min. Then Voila! you are done. Now how easy was that?! 




No comments:

Post a Comment