Friday, October 7, 2011

Pureed Food not just for Babies!

We are sort of picky when it comes to eating in my house. When I was growing up I was the picky eater in my family, everyone ate everything- NOT ME! I worked my way around it by picking things off or eating around things. My dad says I wouldn't eat green things, if I saw certain foods I wouldn't even eat around them. I didn't know you could order hamburgers plain, so I didn't order them. As I got older I was embarrassed and would tell people that I was allergic to onions so i wouldn't have to eat them. I know what you are thinking, WHAT A WACKO! right? well yes I know it's wacky. When I met Ryan it was wacky eater meet wackier eater. He is way pickier then myself, limited fruits and veggies. For me it is a texture issue, for him it is texture, smell, and appearance. Now I try harder to be less picky for Lukas's sake, he needs to be exposed to all foods regardless of us liking them. Enough about being picky, back to the task at hand- baby food!



Lukas started eating regular food a month before he was 1, as a end result  I had a ton of leftover pureed baby food. Now what to do with it all?  I don't want to throw it out, it is perfectly fine, just pureed. I have found many ways to incorporate the baby food into my everyday cooking.  It's easy to add additional nutrients to any dish. If you have any leftover pureed meats- they are best donated to animal shelters, it can be used to bulk up sickly kittens.

  •  Squash added into mac and cheese
  •  Tomato sauce is the best to pad with extra baby food, tomatoes have such a strong flavor I put in peas, green beans, carrots. Great for pizza sauce, and over pasta!
  • Cauliflower and sweet potatoes can be added to mashed potatoes for some extra creaminess.  
  • Carrots, and peas will make meatballs moist, and healthy especially if you use ground Turkey.
  • Aapplesauce is the same- just eat it!
  • Mix in rice for a creamy texture
  • Fruit for smoothies - which can be made into Popsicles!
  • Fruit mixed into plain yogurt or cottage cheese for some good flavor without the extra sugars.
  • Banana puree for banana bread
  • Blueberry for muffins
  • Mango or peach for pancakes
.
That is just a little bit that I have tried. Since it fools my boys I think I am going to make it a regular thing, once the baby food is gone. I will pick up some veggies and puree them a few times a week so I can add them into our dinners. 



No comments:

Post a Comment