Saturday, May 5, 2012

Lime Meltaways


This cookie is by far my Dad's favorite cookie in the whole wide world! On the other side of the spectrum this cookie almost changed my career path. One time while making these cookies about 11 or 12 years ago I burned my hand when pulling them out of the oven. I screamed "I AM NEVER PUTTING MY HAND IN A OVEN EVER AGAIN!!" Yeah luckily I got over that, I reach into ovens all day.  Since lime meltaways are my dad's favorite cookie he begs me all the time to make them. I got the recipe while watching The Martha Stewart Show back in the day. When I was reading the new issue of Martha Stewart Magazine and saw the recipe it reminded me that I should be a good daughter and send some to my dad. It also helps that limes are on sale this weekend since it's Cinco De Mayo.

Lime Meltaways!
adapted from Martha Stewart
1 cup of Salted butter Softened to room temp
2/3 cup powdered sugar
 3 small limes zested and juiced
1 TBS vanilla extract
1 3/4 cup all purpose flour
2 TBS cornstarch
1/3 cup powdered sugar

To get the most juice, first soften in the microwave for 15 sec, then roll on the counter. 


Preheat oven 350*
In a mixer beat butter with 2/3 cup powdered sugar till light and fluffy. Add lime zest, juice and vanilla extract. Scrape the sides of the bowl for even mixing. Whisk flour and cornstarch together, then add to creamed butter and sugar. Beat on low speed till dough comes together. This dough is super sticky!


Traditionally this cookie is rolled into a log and then frozen, then sliced thin. But I am doing 2 other methods, first  is rolling the dough between 2 pieces of parchment, then chilling for 30 min, after chilled use a cookie cutter.

Or dropping the cookie by tablespoons onto a parchment lined cookie sheet and lightly flatten them with your palm.
Bake till light golden in color, pull form the oven and let sit about 5 min. While still hot coat in the reserved 1/3 cup powdered sugar.

Since this cookie doesn't have raw eggs, it's a great batter to eat before baking!

Little Lime stars! Just melt in your mouth!



No comments:

Post a Comment