Monday, February 20, 2012

Grainy Beer Mustard

Soaking Mustard Seeds in Beer
 I never knew that making mustard was so easy. I came across some mustard seeds 1/2 price, I figured I would give it a go. Just like my other recipes, I change it to my needs or what I have in my pantry. I found a great recipe from smedette. I didn't have everything her recipe required, so I changed it a bit.
I must say if you have never made mustard, just do it. It's so easy, you don't even have to can it. Just keep it in the fridge, or share with friends. Either way it will disappear quickly! I had it the other night on my burger- and it was 1 million times better then the store bought stuff!


When buying spices look for them in the Bins or bulk section of the store. Buying in bulk is much more inexpensive, then the tiny fancy jars. I like to make a big trip down to Pike Place Market and visit Market Spice- they have the best selection. 


Grainy Beer Mustard:
1 12oz bottle of beer
 (I used Pyramid Hefeweizen)
1/2 cup brown mustard seeds
1/2 cup yellow mustard seeds
1/2 cup mustard powder-mild works best
1 TBS onion powder
1 TBS Kosher Salt
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
3 garlic cloves minced
2 TBS Sliced jalapeño pickled
1 TBS sliced habanero pickled 
Pour beer and mustard seeds into a glass jar and set aside for a few hours- or even overnight in Fridge, to let the seeds soften.
Whisk mustard powder, onion powder and salt in a small bowl.
Using a food processor or blender, blend the garlic, jalapeño, habanero together. Add the beer soaked seeds, blend to break up about half of them.  Whisk in mustard powder mixture and vinegar. Put in non-reactive pot and cook over medium heat until just barely boiling; whisking often.  Turn down heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes, cook longer if you desire a thicker mustard, or less for a thinner mustard. And thats it, mustard is made. Let it sit for a few days for the flavors meld. Refrigerate if you don't plan to can. 


For you canners out there, this is easy.
 Use a hot pack method, for water bath processing. Process in boiling water for 10 min. take out and let sit for 24 hours, remove rings and store. 
I hope you all enjoy!






No comments:

Post a Comment