Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Chicken Phad Thai

Hello- and welcome to the New Year! This year I plan on doing many fabulous things with my blog. But as of now I am without Internet at home so it might be a little slow.  However I live very close to one of the most bad ass libraries ever. Free Internet and wifi, I just need to plan better and make trips when I can. 
 Over the holidays I made so much fun stuff while visiting my family. And of course I forgot to take photos.
A few of my posts will be without photos, or using stock photos from online. But the recipes will be great, no worries on that. I know  what you are thinking-BLAH BLAH BLAH- Shut up already and give me the recipe: so here you go the most delicious Phad Thai I have ever made (had it for dinner last night!). Word of advice- when closing the cap to fish sauce- don't put it near the face! Just sayin' I got fish sauce in my face, and that stuff stinks!

Chicken Phad Thai:
12 oz dried Rice Noodles
3 Chicken Breast
1/4 cup Olive Oil
5 eggs
1 head of garlic minced
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup fish sauce
1/4 cup sugar
1 TBS Paprika
2 TBS Siracha or more if you want it spicy!
4 green onions- sliced
1 cup bean sprouts
1/2 cup chopped peanuts
3/4 cup Peanut butter (optional)

First get that chicken cooking, easiest way is to bake in the oven, Put them whole on the sheet pan and bake at 350 for about 30 min. Chicken should read at 165 in the thickest part. (Restaurants cook chicken at 165 or higher to be safe from disease, so invest in a meat thermometer so you can be safe at home too!) When the chicken is ready pull it out and dice in medium size cubes.
Once the chicken is baking, soaking the rice noodles is the next longest task. Soak them in a large bowl in warm water for 30 min, or till they are soft. If the rice noodles are still a little stiff no big deal.
When the noodles have been soaking for about 25 min it's time to make magic!  In a large frying pan, and yes I mean LARGE! Heat up the oil on medium heat, add the garlic and saute for a a min. Lower the heat then add the eggs. Scramble the eggs with the garlic.  When the eggs are all scrambled drain the rice noodles and add to the eggs. Turn up the heat to medium-high. Using tongs make sure the toss the noodles in the pan, cook till the noodles get soft and sticky. While the noodles are cooking they may look dry, slowly add up to 1/2 cup water- it cooks out quickly.  When the noodles look all clumped together and sticky it's time to add the fish sauce, sugar, paprika and siracha. Just dump them all in a once and toss. Cook for another 3-5 min or when the smell of fish sauce is faint. All there left to do is add the green onions, bean sprouts, peanuts, and chicken chunks. Ryan likes to add peanut butter to his, I do admit it is pretty tasty but not necessary.  Voila dinner! 
Yield- 4-5 servings - delish for leftovers!



No comments:

Post a Comment